New Supra Won’t be a Hybrid: Scion FR-S Engineer Says - The Toyota Supra Forums

post #1 of 1 Old 08-27-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
AutoGuide.com
Editorial Content

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New Supra Won’t be a Hybrid: Scion FR-S Engineer Says

According to an interview with the brains behind the the Scion FR-S, the rumored upcoming Supra will not be a hybrid despite a recent concept sports car from Toyota.

“I think current hybrid technology is not good for road sports cars,” FR-S chief engineer Tetsuya Tada said during an interview with Top Gear.

The Scion FR-S has reminded the buying public that Toyota can make spectacular sports cars. With the limited power and small footprint of the FR-S, there is a tremendous opening in the automaker’s product line for a larger and more powerful sports car. The FR-S features various references to the classic AE-86, this hole could be filled by a car with an even more important model name from Toyota’s past: the Supra.

Tada does mention his “next sports car.” When describing the next car he says ”I want to make a big… ‘wow.’ I want to give the world a shock.”

When asked directly about a new Supra, Tada says “Of course, anything is possible.” Yoshinori Sasaki, another engineer associated with the FR-S said, “It’ll be a different avenue of sports car from the GT 86.” He is adamant that this new Supra will use a pure gasoline drivetrain.

Fore the rest of the story, head over to Autoguide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
engineer , future , hybrid , supra , tada , toyota , toyota supra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode