What You Should Know Before Buying a Truck - The Toyota Supra Forums

post #1 of 1 Old 07-14-2014, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What You Should Know Before Buying a Truck

As with any vehicle you purchase, you should consider what’s important to you before shopping for a new or used Toyota truck – because some will inevitably come with features and modifications you don’t really need and will never use. Considering a truck’s size is probably the best place to begin.

Every manufacturer has a different sizing guide for trucks, but the basic two sizes include regular and full-size. Regular – sometimes referred to as “compact” – trucks are much smaller than full-size trucks, which lowers their towing capacity. Compact trucks also offer anywhere from four- to eight-cylinder engines compared with the V8 or V10 engines on full-size trucks. Typically, a smaller engine results in a better fuel economy, which means it’s cheaper to drive a compact truck than a full-size. Full-size trucks are often more expensive too – the Toyota Tundra 2014 starts at $26,200 new, while the smaller Tacoma starts at just $18,125.

There’s also a distinction between trucks based on the size of the cab – or the place where the passengers ride. Cabs can range from regular – which include the two seats up front and little room behind – to the crew cab, which includes four doors and five roomy seats. Again, different manufacturers have different naming conventions for their cabs, so do your research before you shop.

But whether you buy new or used Toyota trucks, it’s important to ask yourself the right questions before deciding what size to purchase. Some recommended questions include the following:
Would I rather have a big engine for towing and hauling or a high fuel economy?
Do I want to have the ability to haul a boat or trailer, or simply be able to help friends move and have more storage space?
How many passengers do I regularly carry?
Do I have a long daily commute – and if so, am I willing to pay extra in fuel for a larger truck?
Do I live somewhere with snow or other severe road conditions? If not, do I really need four-wheel drive?
Since trucks are more likely than cars or vans to roll over, make sure you get extra safety features on whatever new or used Toyota you buy. These features can include extra airbags, a backup camera, traction control, electronic stability control, and more.

Having a good basic knowledge of what trucks are available and what to look for is essential. Good luck shopping for your truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode