post #121 of 126 Old 03-20-2006, 11:06 PM
apx632

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Dave
you sure about that?......
if you are referring to my post..yep i'm sure. as long as they are willing to be patient with me hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 126 Old 03-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Toyota Dave

It takes many years. Seriously start by reading everything you get your hands on but ALWAYS consider the source. Magazines and internet can have just as much bad info as good. Consistancy in information adds validation.
post #123 of 126 Old 03-22-2006, 04:58 PM
apx632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Dave
It takes many years. Seriously start by reading everything you get your hands on but ALWAYS consider the source. Magazines and internet can have just as much bad info as good. Consistancy in information adds validation.
well i don't plan on becoming an engine builder..i would just like to understand things better..so that when i'm able to put a car together i'm not just some driver who enjoys it but doesn't know what i have.

post #124 of 126 Old 07-25-2007, 10:10 PM
87pupra7mget

decreasing the mu is the primary goal to generate higer rpm's, stress loads need the coeficient of friction incorperated. if the mu is droped from the average of .03 for a standered 10W30 conventional oil to the .019 of a synthedic oil higher rpm's are going to be achevible because the stress loads will be decreased exponentionaly. look at all the factors because stress are effectedby not only mass and speed but a combination of them and friction
post #125 of 126 Old 07-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Toyota Dave

If you want to minimize friction then use a huge bore and little stroke. Piston stroke is the largest contributor to engine friction. I think I remember a SBC Chevy 350 4" bore 3.48" stroke has up to 175hp in frictional loading at 6000rpm.

That is the same with any mechanical system and an obvious statement. Unrelated to this discussion in many ways unless you want to go back to the discussion of piston skirt side loading. ie rod angle. Clearance is your primary concern as it it doesn't fit it won't even crank yet alone run.....
post #126 of 126 Old 07-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Toyota Dave

And generally speaking as it has been since the dawn of IC engines... valve train capability is the limiting force in RPM potential. That is why F1 uses air instead of springs for the valves. Springs get too hot and fail over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode