Ultimate Street Car Challenge - The Toyota Supra Forums

post #1 of 12 Old 09-20-2005, 07:30 PM
SPDu4ea

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Ultimate Street Car Challenge

I just got picked up an issue of Sport Compact Car and they're going over the contenders. Anyone know how the Supra fared?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Steve Theodore

Results won't be up until next month, but Brian did everything he could to represent the community well.

post #3 of 12 Old 09-20-2005, 11:04 PM
SPDu4ea

The Supra community seems to be growing more tight lipped about these events. A couple years ago you'd know the results months before the magazine mentioned the contenders...

post #4 of 12 Old 09-20-2005, 11:36 PM
ma71supraturbo

I was just going over his suspension mod list: FLT-A2 coilovers, stock front swaybar, removed rear swaybar, bushings, and adjustable front upper A-arms. Very well done -- I'm glad to see it wasn't equipped with monster swaybars and weaker springs

But it seems the judges didn't look too highly on the alphabet soup piggyback engine management and the OEM brakes -- I wonder how it performed...

post #5 of 12 Old 10-26-2005, 06:05 PM
upgradedsupra

I am waiting on the issue to arrive here

Can't wait and I am sure Brian did what he can do rep the Supra community as well. Give some

Duane

post #6 of 12 Old 10-27-2005, 10:51 AM
ma71supraturbo

I'm currently typing up the issue, but the end result was 9th. Here is what Brian had to say about the experience:

Quote:
I havent seen the "results" issue yet but its not sounding good.
To be honest I never really thought I would even be picked for this competition. On the other hand Matt, and Ryan seemed pretty confident based on the pics and mod list of the car I sent them. These guys were very confident from the beginning which gave me hope and worried me at the same time. Not only is this competition brutal, so is the 2+ months leading up to it. Matt told me "your work will suffer" boy was he ever right.

After finding out that I was picked I started petitioning potential sponsors. There were some sponsors such as Kurt at Elmhurst Toyota (thanks a ton Curt), Todd at TMEngineering (R2 suspension bushings), Rob at RPS, and Jeff Brauch (Colorado Performance) who had product/cash out to me IMMEDIATELY, then others that insisted on having product delivered to my house with less than 12 hours before I had to load up the car for the competition. I was already a nervous wreck, this just made matters worse. A month before the competition I had every single suspension piece out of the car drilling/burning out rubber bushings, and trying to get my coilovers overhauled (one of them was leaking) by a company reluctant to stand behind their product, among other things.

I waited to order tires for the event till a week before only to find that the Kumho V700's I wanted to use were on nationwide backorder, great, so I made a change to Michelin Pilot Sport Cups at the last minute, thanks to Michelin for helping me out on these even though the discounts werent huge. I was lucky enough to have made it to Cali with enough time to do a track day at Streets of Willow. Despite the intense pressure from Matt to drive the piss out of the car, I used restraint fearing that I would break the car before even making it to the competition itself.

When we got to Riverside, right after grabbing an IN N OUT Burger we went searching for a place to tune the car for the local conditions. I had tuned the car at 24psi conservatively at 11.5:1, this had netted me about 601hp in my home town about 2 months previous. We headed out of the hotel to the photo shoot with Henry only to find the right front tire flat, I wonder if it had anything to do with the berm I hit at Streets a couple of days before? The tire wouldnt even last through the photo shoot without going flat (in the "contenders" issue, the small pic of the rear of the car notice the right front tire). That night I took the wheel off to find the inside of the wheel bent, I tightened the bolts holding the halves together which helped slow the leak.

I showed up in front of K+N early and unloaded the car out front. We headed out just to take the car for a spin, at an intersection at the end of the street I hit a dip in the road, heard a crack, and saw 1/3 of my Seibon front lip getting run over by a semi. I returned to the trailer in order to remove the other 2/3's of the destroyed front lip. The lip lasted 5 days on the car and scraping only 1 driveway plus the dip in the road. Besides that I now had a check engine light for whatever reason, more on that later. So I rolled into the parking lot to meet the competition with no front lip, my brake cooling ducts hanging from my front bumper by zip ties, and a CEL. Matt is right and I said it to my now wife Jessica, "Wow, Iam way out of my league here." With all these problems I actually thought about giving up right then and there.

I think first up for me was the guru panel. If you go through the pics Ryan posted a link to you will find one where a guru judge has his leg up on the front bumper of my car as he's peering into the engine bay. I immediately lost respect for any "judging" this panel might come up with. I went through every aspect of the car with them anyways, from end to end, in explicit detail unlike others had in past competitions. Then Steve Ruiz started in on me, "why dont you have upgraded front brakes? You custom made this hood out of an OEM hood? These vents are all in the wrong spots for evacuating heat? I dont see how they would do any good. You want a great deal on Stoptech brakes?" sheesh! I actually expected to do better in the guru panel.

After this was the dyno, the problem Matt was refferring to was the fact that the K+N guys put the wideband "sniffer" in the exhaust pipe, what we didnt realize till after 3 runs, them telling me Iam running lean, and me adding a bunch of fuel accross the full rpm range was that since I was running a cutout the sniffer wasnt getting a good reading on the exhaust or any exhaust for that matter. SCC was nice enough to let me take a few more runs, against the wishes of some of the other competitiors, but it would have taken a full retune to get the map back. I couldnt believe the results, and I knew something was wrong with the car anyways as the spool was really slow and the FJO wouldnt let me tune, everytime I tried to log a run it would revert to "sensor warming" as if I had just started the car and wouldnt let me log . After returning from the competition I found the CEL was code 14, crank angle sensor, but the car ran fine so I didnt mess with it.

At an autocross the next weekend the car was missing really bad, and setting up a false rev limiter at 5800 or so. I later found that my crankshaft trigger wheel had spun on the crankshaft timing pulley (yes broke the tooth off and spun on the pulley, didnt fall off) retarding the timing.The trigger wheel is now firmly welded to the pulley much like you see a lot of members doing now, I highly recomment it. I realized that this must have started either the night before the competition or the morning of. So here comes the domino effect, low dyno #'s, slow spool, bad timing hurts emissions and most likely fuel milage, low power #'s hurt at the drags, roadcourse, etc. A CEL isnt even good for the driveability test obviously. Would I have rather the motor blow instead? NO, but it might have made for a better story.

I honestly thought that I deserved more in the car show portion, and I feel the car show panel wasnt really very stoked about seeing another Supra. I was trying to get those guys excited about the custom OEM hood, and to take a look at the custom airbag guage panel but they just werent interested let alone everything else I had done to the car. Maybe if I had some ill fitting carbon fiber hood and some Axis wheels I would have done better in the car show. I feel that SCC should remove all judges that own companies that produce products that might or might not be on the cars in the competition but I dont have a solution for who judges the cars by any means.

This competiton is brutal to say the least. On the first day I believe we filled up the tank of the last car in the fuel milage test at like 9 or 10pm which means that days competition went for over 13 hours. Then we had to have dinner. I think I made it to bed at 1am or so only to get back up at 6:30 to make it out for the second day of events which ended at sundown. When these guys talk about spending big $$$$ on the competition they arent kidding, I think Iam still paying off debts from it. The reason why I felt out of my league was due to the fact that there were teams there that had full semi truck and trailer support vehicles loaded with spare parts, full pit crews some with 5 or 6 mechanics, and hired professional drivers. Here Iam with my fiancee as my pit crew, a car that seems to have deceided to fall apart on me all of a sudden, and me, a "wannabe" pro driver.

Dont get me wrong I wouldnt have had it any other way, except maybe the car falling apart portion. Hell even Kim (Skyline owner) said after the awards banquet that he was jealous of me because I had a girlfried that was willing to hang out with me at the competition all day, both days, and that he would give up all the trophys he won for that. Who knows, maybe he was being sarcastic too, doesnt matter. I was happy that someone saw potential in my entry and allowed me to be a part of this competition, I met some really cool people, Josh, Jared, and the whole SCC gang. The other competitiors all were really cool and there were never any attitudes from the drivers or crews that I detected. Plus I got to check out some really badass cars.

post #7 of 12 Old 10-27-2005, 10:51 AM
ma71supraturbo

continued....
Quote:
As far as the outcome of the competition goes. Here are my views. I really thought the Passacqua EVO 8 was going to win it and it probrobly would have if Mueller had just put down one timed lap before grenading the motor. These guys worked HARD for it and I was happy to see them get the cover of last months issue, they deserved that at least. The Skyline, this was a win that was LONG overdue IMO, congradulations Kim. Richard, the owner of the STI is a great driver, he also played the conservative game with car prep IMO and it payed off. I was lucky enough to have been picked for SCC/Nitto tires "Spirit of the competition" award, a full set of Nitto NT01 track tires. To me this award means that I was one of the few that fullfilled the way the competition was meant to be played. I was the owner, builder, and driver of this car and thats something not all of the other owners could say but unfortunately playing the game that way doesnt win. If I were to do it all over again I would hope that the problems I had would not arise and they probrobly wouldnt I just had a stroke of bad luck, thats racing. I want to thank the sponsors that supported me in this Elmhurst Toyota, RPS, Colorado Performance, TM Engineering, R2 Racing, Kinesis Motorsport, Nitrous Express, Sparco, PWR, Michelin, Random Technology, MVP Motorsports, Idaho Speed Center, Street Art Custom Tinting and Graphics, hardpipes.com, K+N, JIC, Qualifab, and Big O Tires. Also big thanks to Matt Andrews, and Ryan Hawkins for helping me out in the months leading up to the event and at the event. The biggest thanks of all goes out to my wife Jessica for supporting me every step of the way.
mr2jzgte, Xenon Supra, flash_e_gt, Nick 95 6sp, supradjza80, notlownf, ToyoBeastly, thanks for the comments, they mean a lot to me and I wish I could have represented the Supra community in a much bigger way. We had really high expectations for this competition which makes 9th place and potshots from the magazine that much worse to deal with.

post #8 of 12 Old 10-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Nick 95 6sp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Even though I've heard and read about the results a while ago, I just picked up the issue with the results yesterday. We must get the issue late here sometimes because a few guys in other parts of the country were saying they had it almost two weeks ago or so. Strange, I'd think a major metropolitan area like Phila would get it sooner. And I did read Brian's interesting, lengthy comments when he made them. IMO, I think he had a great setup and did the best he could but a string of bad luck ran against him this time. Murphy's Law seemed to work against a few of the other competitors too, as you might expect with all the pressure of the competition and stress on parts.

Until we see if somebody else picks up the gauntlet and tries with a Supra again next year, in honor of Brian's best efforts I think we should rename Murphy's Law to Brian's Law.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Brewster

I didn't read the thread because I'm drunk but i Heard he didn't do so hot;.

post #10 of 12 Old 10-31-2005, 10:06 AM
mkiiina

well im glad i have now heard both sides of what happened (SCC and Brian's) thanks for at least repping the supra. however you have now made me want to dothis even more! sorry to hear bout the bad luck man how much did this set you back overall?

post #11 of 12 Old 10-31-2005, 12:15 PM
Stealth97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma71supraturbo
I was just going over his suspension mod list: FLT-A2 coilovers, stock front swaybar, removed rear swaybar, bushings, and adjustable front upper A-arms. Very well done -- I'm glad to see it wasn't equipped with monster swaybars and weaker springs

But it seems the judges didn't look too highly on the alphabet soup piggyback engine management and the OEM brakes -- I wonder how it performed...
Curious. Why would big swaybars be bad? I can see why weaker springs would be bad, but what makes you think the FLT-A2's are stronger and what suspension components would you say are weak(er) in your opinion? What are FLT-A2's, pardon my ignorance?

post #12 of 12 Old 02-20-2020, 06:37 AM
engliss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You may make your zip code and emails visible to everyone, and then telephone number you will disclose in the response to a potential client. Many users are looking for goods and services based on the zip code https://postcodefinder.net/. So this information is more important than your telephone number. Or you may block incoming calls from new numbers as it was recommended above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode