Auto Transmissions with the AEM EMS - The Toyota Supra Forums

post #1 of 9 Old 10-19-2005, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
1BADSUPRA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Auto Transmissions with the AEM EMS

I have seen several posts about misconceptions with auto transmissions running on the AEM EMS. Let's set the record STRAIGHT!

1) The base map sucks- The base map was dialed in perfectly with a stock twin car with a 3600rpm stall. The biggest thing you will need to change if you have anything OTHER than this setup is the shift schedule, remember auto trans shift points are completely biased to the driver, meaning while one person likes it one way, others like it another way. That is why the factory spends so much money developing self learning transmission schemes, because that is the single biggest complaint the factory gets about production cars.

2) The engagement is too harsh - Most people have modded transmissions, and the line pressure is cranked up....this makes it worse. You will not get as smooth of an engagement with the AEM EMS as you will the stock on. The factory pulls a ton of timing on the shifts, and lowers line pressure tremendously. With the AEM you have about 1/2 the control over line pressure as the factory does, and you also can turn on the timing retard on gear changes. I have done dozens of cars that had complaints, and this is the biggest helper on harsh engagement. The one thing to consider is slushy engagement on the gear changes is NOT the fast way down the track, but it will help save the 2nd gear sprague, as well as being smoother.

Bottom line. The trans control scheme is incredibly advanced, and works incredibly well for performance...downshifts are immediate and as precise as you make them. It will require you to go in and adjust the shift schedule to your liking. That is why it is PROGRAMABLE! A very close friend of mine (Toyota Dave) works for the Toyota/Lexus powertrain group, meaning he helps the techs when they have problems, but another part of his job is to drive new factory cars, and report back any hiccups in drivability. Plain and simpel...he is the pickiest bastard you will ever meet(I mean that in a good way Dave!) He has had the AEM on his 93 Auto BPU car for several years now, and he loves it....no complaints! If it it good enough for him surely it is good enough for most of the people that I see putting up with crappy idles on VPC cars, and black tailpipes etc...etc.... I have it running a GM electronic transmission, and you would never know it wasn't a stock trans......Just take the time to learn how to adjust it to your liking, and you will be completely satisfied!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-19-2005, 10:59 AM
93dawg

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thanks for this info. I will pass it on to somebody I know who needs to hear all about this stuff.

If I understand you right you are saying that a built Supra auto can coexist with AEM EMS if properly tuned. Is that correct???

Can the AEM EMS lower the pressure and retard the spark enough on shifts to do a proper job with a built Supra auto, good enough to make it work well for hard acceleration (probably drag racing) and still keep from tearing up the 2nd gear sprague without losing the ability of the trannie to perform for what it was built for in the first place???

My question in this paragraph is not to question your ability but since I do not know who you are may I ask who you are and what your qualifications are regarding Toyota Supra built trannies as related to AEM EMS... Thanks for answering me...

Thanks very much for bringing up this subject.

post #3 of 9 Old 10-19-2005, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
1BADSUPRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93dawg
Thanks for this info. I will pass it on to somebody I know who needs to hear all about this stuff.

If I understand you right you are saying that a built Supra auto can coexist with AEM EMS if properly tuned. Is that correct???

Can the AEM EMS lower the pressure and retard the spark enough on shifts to do a proper job with a built Supra auto, good enough to make it work well for hard acceleration (probably drag racing) and still keep from tearing up the 2nd gear sprague without losing the ability of the trannie to perform for what it was built for in the first place???

My question in this paragraph is not to question your ability but since I do not know who you are may I ask who you are and what your qualifications are regarding Toyota Supra built trannies as related to AEM EMS... Thanks for answering me...

Thanks very much for bringing up this subject.
No problem, I am an engineer at AEM, and own an auto supra! Does that help???

Yes they can coexist in a very peaceful environment. If you think the stock trans (even built) will put up with anything over 450hp indefinately you are mistaken. They can last quite awhile at around 400 to 500hp, but you need to use the retard on gear shift. The 2nd gear sprague is just to weak to support slicks and a 3700+lb car at that power level.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-19-2005, 02:05 PM
93dawg

Ok thanks for telling me who you are. My mind slips it's clutch once in a while. Sorry about not remembering who you are. I know you by name as JasonS I reckon. I have seen you a few times but have never been properly introduced. Please forgive that my mind slipped it's clutch for a while and thanks for getting me back on track...haha...

post #5 of 9 Old 10-19-2005, 07:27 PM
93dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADSUPRA
No problem, I am an engineer at AEM, and own an auto supra! Does that help???

Yes they can coexist in a very peaceful environment. If you think the stock trans (even built) will put up with anything over 450hp indefinately you are mistaken. They can last quite awhile at around 400 to 500hp, but you need to use the retard on gear shift. The 2nd gear sprague is just to weak to support slicks and a 3700+lb car at that power level.
The person I am talking about is still running his Supra with the stock twins at 18PSI of boost... I would guess he is around 400-425 RWHP So he should be well within the range of where you are talking about the AEM EMS and the Supra auto trannie working together and lasting a reasonable amount of time?

post #6 of 9 Old 10-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADSUPRA
A very close friend of mine (Toyota Dave) works for the Toyota/Lexus powertrain group, meaning he helps the techs when they have problems, but another part of his job is to drive new factory cars, and report back any hiccups in drivability. Plain and simpel...he is the pickiest bastard you will ever meet
I can vouch for the pickiest bastard comment (also in a good way )

post #7 of 9 Old 10-20-2005, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
1BADSUPRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93dawg
The person I am talking about is still running his Supra with the stock twins at 18PSI of boost... I would guess he is around 400-425 RWHP So he should be well within the range of where you are talking about the AEM EMS and the Supra auto trannie working together and lasting a reasonable amount of time?
Yes, he should be fine. You can never tell how strong the stock trans is, but if he uses the shift retard he shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. Dave is easily making 430+ to the tires, and has been beating the crap out of his car for 4 years!
post #8 of 9 Old 10-22-2005, 11:01 AM
XCELR8

Jason, can you pass Dave's contact info on to me through a PM? The car that 93Dawg is referring to is my daily driver. I'd like to talk to Dave about his tranny setup and experience. Thanks.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-09-2017, 02:22 PM
Desy I

Hello! Very good information! Thanks to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode