Is this motor salvageable? - The Toyota Supra Forums

post #1 of 2 Old 11-15-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
kvikvne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question Is this motor salvageable?

There is a 1990 supra for sale on Kauai where I live. Usually I only see civics and Acuras on craigslist so this is a pretty rare care for Hawaii. The only problem is that it has a blown head gasket and two melted pistons. The head of the engine is already off and it has been sitting. The cylinder walls have surface rust and other junk on them from sitting. Im just wondering if this car is worth the money and if I can restore the engine. Ill post pictures of the engine so you can see the condition its in. Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-05-2017, 02:15 PM
juicyjerry300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anything is salvageable with enough time and money, it depends how much you want to put into it. You're gonna need new piston no doubt, probably gonna need the deck honed to make sure it's flat and to remove any rust, I'd say the cylinders are gonna need a slight bore, just enough to get rid of the rust. Is the rust in the cylinders smooth or are there divots going into the cylinder walls? As for the head probably gonna need to get the head shaved and get the new head gasket, get some arp head studs and make sure they are torqued to spec(not factory) look up the newer specs for the heads on 7m's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode